May 4, 2011

Botanical Wonder






Sunday I went to the New York Botanical Garden. I've heard it's amazing and many things were in bloom including magnolias, cherry blossoms, crabapples and azaleas. I've had this planned for awhile but the weather has held me back. I'm not really a "garden" type of person but this was incredible. Perfectly groomed, clean and vast, encompassing 250 acres. Roaming around you would never know you were in The Bronx. Aside from the distant sound of traffic, it's more like being out in the country.

Walking up to a cherry tree, what I thought was a rock turned out to be a young rabbit laying dead on the ground. It seemed oddly placed there and I wondered how it died. I started to take pictures and after a few minutes felt I was being watched. I looked up to find two elderly women looking at me from the path about 30 feet away. In a frail voice one of them called out "What is that?" Barely looking up, I replied, "It's a dead rabbit." "What are you doing?" "I'm photographing it." I heard the other woman say quietly, "He's doing what? Why is he doing that?" They slowly walked away mumbling to each other, obviously confused, looking back at me as they made their way up the path.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes people just don't understand creativity. Had a friend freak out halfway thorough Love Magazine. Not the same as a dead bunny and elderly women, but close. Regardless, I like these photos, the garden looks...wondrous.

    ReplyDelete