July 11, 2011

My Wonderful Mother



It's been almost 2 months since my last post. I've gotten many calls and emails from friends asking why I haven't blogged. The truth of the matter is, I've been in Virginia for the past 3 weeks. My earlier post regarding my mother's illness came to a sad conclusion. My beautiful mother passed away on July 3rd. If there's any good side to this it's that she died at home in bed, in her sleep. Sadly, few people have the opportunity and time to tell their loved ones how much they loved them. My family and I were lucky in the sense that we had over a month to lie in bed with her, tell her how much we loved her and hug and hold her. Her illness was so rapid and ravenous on her body that we were all amazed and shocked at how quickly cancer took her. She became weaker and weaker until her last days were spent quietly in bed mostly sleeping. We're so thankful that she didn't suffer for very long. The emotional roller coaster we all endured was sometimes overwhelming. Knowing the end was getting closer each day, you become hyper aware of every cough, sniff and sigh. You are tormented with the fear of witnessing the end of her life. At 5:00am Sunday morning the healthcare woman knocked at my door and asked me to come upstairs.... My beautiful mother was gone.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Stephen. I'm so very sorry to hear this. You gave her your most valuable asset, your time. This is the very bitter part of life, but one in which we all will face. I have no doubt that you made her so very proud with what you have done with your life. You are truly the only person I know in this world who has followed his life to the very detail of what YOU wanted to create. You took your brush, you dabbled in every color, made your own colors that didn't exist, and you painted all over the canvas that she gave you. This is the wish of every parent for their child--you gave her THIS gift, and for that you can be at peace that you gave her what she wanted for you after she created you, truly. For you, you will have days where you can smile, thinking back on the time you were so lucky to spend with her during her last days. On other days, you will be upset and confused as to why this was all so soon and just not fair. This just is, life. When you're ready, pick up your brush and continue to make new colors...this is respecting and honoring the life that your mother gave you.

    ReplyDelete