September 24, 2009

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...



Yesterday I got up at 6:15, didn't bother to shower, brushed my teeth, splashed some cold water on my face, grabbed a few cameras, a tripod and took a long walk in the neighborhood. It's been a long time since I was up at that hour looking for a nice shot. It was a bit overcast which I like, and I loved the dim light cast on the closed storefronts. I went down a side street and noticed a broken window (top photo). I peered in to find a man sitting in the dark smoking a cigarette, arms crossed in front of him. "Robbed?" "Yes" "Get much?" "About ten thousand in cash and cigarettes". "Man, I'm sorry". He shrugged his shoulders... "Waiting for the police?" "Yes". I stepped back and took a snap with my digital camera and then a "real" photo with 2 1/4 (film). I poked my head in again and he explained the thieves had broken the big lock, lifted the grate, smashed the window and made off with all the goods. A few minutes later I was on another street close by and noticed a bunch of produce sitting unattended in front of a closed store. No one in sight. I waited and took some photos. Here are boxes of fruit and no one bothers them and a block away some thief breaks into a bodega and ransacks the place, all within a block of each other. Obviously the first crime was much more lucrative than stealing a box of fruit, but still. You'd think someone would snatch a mango or two....

No comments:

Post a Comment