September 2, 2011

A Rural County Fair

Last Thursday I headed for the Perry County Fair in rural PA. I arrived at my friend Nemo's home and he immediately tossed me the keys to his Range Rover and I was off to the fairgrounds. I've gone the last two years and couldn't wait to start shooting. Especially fearing the hurricane that was bearing down on the East Coast.

I shot many portraits of the annual tractor parade. These farmers are quite proud of their restored old tractors. From there I moved on to shoot the carnival workers and attendees of the fair. I shot for three days and had a great time. Sadly, I discovered (again) that "fair food" is horrible. I had a barbecued chicken that was dry as dirt, ate two soft serve ice cream cones and drank too many lemonades and sodas. But I refrained from other sweets, cotton candy and funnel cakes.

Nemo and his lovely wife Carol put up with my coming and going, getting in after midnight, using their car, eating their food and basically disrupting their home. But what are friends for? I appreciate their friendship very very much. I was also able to establish my place as "Uncle Steve" with their three-year-old sons Ellis and Aiden.

All trains back to NYC were canceled due to hurricane flooding (I'm sure to everyone's dismay) so I stayed an extra day.

The night air was cool and crisp at their farm in Elliottsburg. Late one night I looked up and saw stars like I haven't seen in many many years....





No comments:

Post a Comment