September 14, 2010

More images from my travels

While driving deep in the backwoods of Kentucky I saw this guy sitting on his porch. I got out of the car and after talking to him for a few minutes, I asked if I could take his photograph. He seemed glad to oblige me and sat patiently while I fiddled with my camera and strobe. Down on his luck, he was suffering from a variety of issues and illnesses. After I was done I handed him $10. He smiled widely and said,"You know what I'm gonna do with this? I'm gonna buy me a big ol' joint," and then he chuckled, happy as a clam.

This is Travis


This is Onus. The only time on my trip I was actually a bit scared of a subject. While I was speaking to his 70-year-old brother Enus, Onus just leaned against this truck watching, listening, and smoking. Then, after I snapped a few photos of him, he walked over to his car, popped the trunk showing me a variety of handguns and rifles he had for sale. He reached in and picked up a .38 revolver. With a serious tone he said, "This one here killed a man...he committed suicide with it." It was a bit unnerving. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I glanced in that trunk. Vicco, Ky.

Jacob's sister with their happy Jack Russell. (Ky.)
Beautiful girl at the fair waiting to get on a ride. She reminded me so much of one of Sally Mann's subjects.
I photographed many animals at that Pennsylvania county fair a few weeks ago, sadly most of whom would be eaten shortly afterward. But this goat was a dairy goat. Someone (or something) had removed its ears for some odd reason. I couldn't find its owner to ask why. I'd never seen an earless goat before. It seemed happy enough.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. steve... it sure does look like the goats ears are just pinned back!

    long lost friend... heather.

    ReplyDelete