July 16, 2012

Time Well Spent

Talking with one of my best friends the other day, he spoke about never having enough time to accomplish all the things he "needs" to do. If he has an hour of free time, he has a list of about 15 things he should do with it.  I like to read a lot. People with so much on their plate don't share that luxury. After giving his time dilemma some serious thought (I have time to ponder such things), I realized that he has created this "zero free time" life entirely on his own. A big house, three cars (one antique), a wife and two young kids, a few horses, 35+ acres, a dog and a few cats, art fairs to prepare for, etc. All of which require HUGE amounts of time and maintenance. Veterinarians, pediatricians, landscaping (mowing), home and equipment repairs (constant), countless phone calls, school issues, housekeepers, nannies, etc, etc. The list is endless. That's all aside from doing his actual job. Why does a person take on so much responsibility, knowing that almost everything will be compromised by the inability to complete a given task? Consequently many things don't get finished. Or worse, are done by someone else at a substantial expense. And, there seems to be no reduction of responsibility in sight. I suggested a smaller home with less acreage--"Oh no. I love having a farm." I suggested fewer vehicles--"Oh no, we need those." I suggested giving one of the two kids up for adoption. That drew silence... and a smirk.

I love my friend dearly (I doubt he'll read this, he doesn't have time). However when he says to me, after reading one of my emails or blog posts, "You have WAY too much free time on your hands," I smile and think to myself, "Yes, I do. I'm so fortunate."  A minimalist life is not for everyone. Simplicity is a beautiful thing....

No comments:

Post a Comment