June 20, 2013

Wanda

Today I was on the A train headed downtown for lunch with a client when somewhere in Harlem a woman stepped on wearing more rings than I'd ever seen on a person. She sat across from me and I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. Very confident and put together she was "grooving" to her music through headphones. The person sitting closest to her exited the train around 59th street so I immediately took that seat. I usually avoid talking to strangers but I felt compelled to speak to her. After a moment of self doubt I tapped her on the arm and asked her if I could take a photo of her rings. She was very nice and told me that she had always dressed differently than most people. I took a few snaps and gave her my card. Though I wanted to keep talking, my stop was coming up quickly. As the train pulled into the station we shook hands and with a big smile, she told me her name was Wanda. 


No comments:

Post a Comment