May 15, 2012

Frustration, Art & Artists

Been very busy. Shot a portrait of designer Marc Jacobs the other day. As with many celebs, I got less than 10 minutes with him (told I'd have 30). Frustrating to be expected to create a great image in such a short time. Can he design a dress in 10 minutes? Can Gaga write a song in 10 minutes? I don't get it. I need ample time to "do my thing" as well.

The next day I shot for 20/20 Magazine. One of my favorite clients. Shot eyewear in a dark pool hall. Extremely hard to light. Turned out to be a great day. Good crew, two great models, tacos for lunch... What's not to love?



I've been going art crazy. Galleries every Thursday night as well as a few shows during the weekend. As I've mentioned many times before, I walk out of most galleries scratching my head wondering how in the hell that artist got a show in the first place. It's truly one of the great mysteries. Right up there with the pyramids, crop circles and where the hell is Jimmy Hoffa. Baffling.

Here was an odd one. Among the other mediocre work was a woman perched about 20 feet off the ground, topless, blowing on an egg suspended from a string attached to the ceiling. Frankly, I don't get it.



I enjoy the work of Alice Neel. Her paintings seem simple and true. She led a colorful yet troubled life. Her first child died and later her husband ran off to Cuba with their second child causing her to have a nervous breakdown. She attempted suicide and spent time in a sanitorium. She painted still life, family members, lovers, artists, intellectuals and friends associated with the Communist Party.
At David Zwirner gallery, 525 West 19th Street.


No comments:

Post a Comment