July 29, 2013

The Hood & the LX5

Walking through the neighborhood I came upon another group of kids happily playing in another fire hydrant. A very nice guy named Tito and I struck up a conversation and he told me that he'd been playing in the exact same hydrant for over 40 years. He was born in the building you see in the first photo and now lives directly across the street. He's never left the block. A once a predominantly Irish neighborhood is now all Dominican.







A few days after I took these photos I went to Coney Island to meet my friend Rafaella (below). We had only been shooting an hour or so before a huge storm suddenly came through with incredible wind and rain. Running for cover, along with twenty thousand other people, everything I had was soaked...including my favorite street camera, my Lumix LX5. When I came home it was dead.. I tried to dry it out by leaving it in rice for a few days but nothing worked. The dilemma...send it out for repair, which will be costly, or look for a new camera. Three years...it was good to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment