February 9, 2011

Stinkwood, Heels and Pears

Everyone is obviously over the snow and the cold. Especially here in NYC. Unlike most places in the country, New York City snow is beautiful for about... an hour. Here in Inwood, or as my friend Todd calls it, "The Dominican Ghetto," or as I call it, "Stinkwood," the snow is pretty for about 5 minutes. People toss trash everywhere. I need to learn the Spanish translation for "Use a friggin' garbage can" and scream it at the top of my lungs. I find that constantly disturbing. Woodstock this isn't.



Some people will forsake common sense for fashion no matter what. 5'10, 4 inch heels and icy streets. "Sorry, I can't work Fashion Week, I'm on crutches."


Hey, model girl, take a walk down these steps in those heels and live to talk about it.



I'm getting near the end of my supply of Pears soap that I hoarded just as they changed the formula. I went to all the 99 cent stores in the area and bought all the bars I could find. The new stuff looks similar but smells nothing like the old stuff. I wrote a nasty letter to Lever Brothers telling them of my unbearable sadness regarding this matter. I received no response. When my last bar has cleansed my stinky body, it will be a sad day. I may vow to never wash again.


Wikipedia reports:

2009 Change

A bar of Pears soap in the new shape.

In October 2009 the formula for the transparent amber soap was completely changed, making it unrecognizable from the earlier product. The new soap is slightly softer in texture, but the most noticeable difference is the scent. The aroma of the classic transparent amber bar, which used to be characterized by a mild, spicy herbal fragrance, is now a very strong smell akin to frankincense, creosote, or even insecticide.

The original listed ingredients were: Sodium Palmitate, Natural Rosin, Glycerine, Water, Sodium Cocoate, Rosemary Extract, Thyme Extract, Pears Fragrance Essence.

The listed ingredients of the new soap are: Sorbitol, Aqua, Sodium Palmate/stearate, Sodium Palmkernelate, Sodium Rosinate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, PEG-4, Alcohol, Glycerin, Perfume, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Meta Bisulfite, Etidronic acid, Tetra Sodium EDTA, BHT, Cl 12490, Cl 47005, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool. As a result the "Hypoallergenic, Non Comedogenic" claim on the old packaging has now been replaced with "Gentle Care".

On 6 January 2010, after a Facebook campaign, it was reported in the media that Pears planned to abandon the new formula and that by March 2010 a new version would be available that is "much closer to the original". On 8 January 2010, it was reported in the media that Pears will not abandon the new formula but will "make further improvements, by delivering a scent that more closely resembles the product our consumers are familiar with while retaining all the benefits that the new formulation delivers".


One of my last bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment