March 17, 2011

Haley




Today started out cold, wet and rainy and I really didn't feel like going anywhere. I had a lot of work and editing that needed to be done but I had promised to do some photos with my beautiful friend Haley who is updating her portfolio.

Packing too much equipment as usual, I took the A train to 168th street, transferred to the 1 train downtown to 96th street. Getting off the train I stopped at Starbucks and grabbed my usual Grande decaf, adding 4 sugars, some half-and-half and a shake of nutmeg and cinnamon. A wimpy sounding drink but pretty damned tasty on a cold crappy day. (My friend Richard used to smirk at me every time he saw me making this delicious concoction.) A block away I found Haley's apartment and dragged all my gear up the stairs, spilling my Starbucks along the way. It was a real pain in the ass. This is precisely why I love shooting jobs where clients pay for my assistants to carry everything for me.

Never knowing what type of furniture or lighting one might have in their apartment, I brought along a battery powered flash unit and a gray blanket I picked up at the local thrift store for $3. I taped it to her brick wall and set up a simple light bounced into a white kitchen wall (one must improvise). Minutes after we got started she was called into work which was disappointing considering the ordeal I went through getting there. We had to shoot fast and furious and we didn't really have much time for variations. But later, after looking at the images I was pleasantly surprised.

These were the result... I'm glad I went out on this cold, nasty day.

No comments:

Post a Comment