March 1, 2011

Goofy songs

When I was younger every once in awhile I'd be driving down the road by myself listening to the radio when some goofy song like Foreigner's "Waiting for a Girl Like You" or Journey's "Open Arms" would come on. I'd sing along at the top of my lungs and I knew every word. I'd even harmonize... But, if a friend was with me, I'd say something like, "What is this goofy shit" and change the station. I considered myself somewhat of a "cool listener" and I was embarrassed that I liked such sappy songs.... I enjoyed long drives by myself, and secretly, I sang.

So, yesterday I was walking down to the corner to hang out with the locals when I caught myself whistling Katy Perry's "Firework". Holy shit... I've never heard that song in its entirety in my life, nor do I want to. But, somehow this tune got into my head and I actually turned red and embarrassed at myself once I realized what I was whistling. I even had to Google her to find the name of it so I could explain this phenomenon on this post... "Cause baby you're a fireworrrrk". I've lost my mind.

Now, this is more about the power of brainwashing because I actually DON'T like "Firework" and would readily admit it if I did, because at this age, I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me. But, I'm amazed that just by osmosis it had the ability to infiltrate my brain, pass all the cool music filters and even go as far as to make me whistle it... damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment