June 5, 2012

Bushwick


Sunday I went to to the BOS (Bushwick Open Studios). Took the L train to Jefferson Street and then proceeded to walk about 5 miles zig-zagging through Bushwick, running up and down steps to various artist lofts. I saw some amazing work (see above and below) as well as some real crap that looked as if a third grader had done it. Fun, inspiring day.


Though it looks like a grainy photograph, the above is actually about five layers of screen, like the screens on windows. The screen was ripped or cut away from the parts she wanted to be lighter... Genius.


I question why people bother to write certain things on walls. "We Chillin'".   Actually, I think the proper phrase is, "We Be Chillin'".


After my long day of art and walking I met my friend Katherine for dinner in Carroll Gardens, another part of Brooklyn. While waiting for her on the subway stop, just at sunset, I noticed the few last moments of sun hitting the tops of these buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment