June 24, 2012

Mermaids and Lunatics at Coney Island


Today was the annual Mermaid Day Parade at Coney Island. This is the first time I've gone in the past few years and today was perfect: high 80s, blue sky and chock full of lunatics. It was packed. I was there from 2:30pm until about 10:00pm. I walked a few miles, took a bunch of pictures, ate the best tacos I've ever had, drank a big cup of Killian's Red (my favorite) and enjoyed the freaks. A great day....


Happy, chunky hula-hooper...hoopist.


Grab 3 friends, pay 25 bucks each, get wrapped in a flimsy sack attached to a giant rubber band and slingshot youreselves into the air 80 feet over the crowd. No thanks.



Shark bait as seen from the pier.


Long shadow.

In the amusement area they have the same fortune teller as seen in the movie "Big". Momentarily tempted, I wanted to ask Zoltar to make me young again. Then I thought, wait, I feel young. I do young things and hang out with young people. I am young. So, if Zoltar granted my wish, my life wouldn't change all that much. 


Zoltar didn't get my dollar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment