April 30, 2011

The Struggle

How to feel miserable as an artist (or, what not to do); check all that apply:

1. Constantly compare yourself to other artists.
2. Talk to your family about what you do and expect them to cheer you on.
3. Base the success on your entire career on one project.
4. Stick with what you know.
5. Undervalue your expertise.
6. Let money dictate what you do.
7. Bow to societal pressure.
8. Only do work that your family would love.
9. Do whatever the client/customer/gallery/owner/patron/investors asks.
10. Set unachievable/overwhelming goals. To be achieved by tomorrow.


Being a photographer and having a blog I'm constantly tormented with what to shoot, what direction to take my career and what to post on this blog. Talking with friends, I've often expressed my boredom with shooting what clients tell me to shoot. I basically have very little creative freedom or control when doing my job. Obviously I understand my clients have specific needs but I find myself always thinking I should have done something more creative. I envy many art and fashion photographers who have the ability (and confidence) to do exactly what they want without compromise. These are a very lucky few.

Having a blog, I tend to be MUCH more conservative with my language and photographic content, leaning towards what may be more "entertaining to readers" and less controversial. And, sadly, I'm acutely aware of what might be offensive to my family and friends. A little voice always pops up saying, "would that offend Mom?" I know other photographers who don't take such things into consideration. It's a struggle.

Last night I came across the little list above on some random blog. Pretty much sums it all up.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that list....I may re-post.

    I also loved the dead rabbit, btw. Really, really loved it.

    ReplyDelete